COLOUR RESPONSIBLE POLICY
JAMES FULTON HAIR FOLLOW A STRICT COLOUR REPSONSIBLE POLICY FOR THE SAFTEY AND PEACE OF MIND OF ALLOUR GUESTS
To comply with manufactures guidelines and for the safety of our guests, we require a colour allergy test a minimum of 48hrs prior to any colour service. You will also need a skin test if;
- You have not had your hair coloured for 6 months or longer
- You have developed a new allergy to chemical services
- You have coloured your hair yourself at home
This can be performed at your preference in 2 ways;
- AAT (Allergy alert test)
- Visit the salon at least 48 hours before your appointment, you do not need to make an appointment for this and any of our team will be happy to help.
- We will apply a small amount of colour formula behind your ear. Leave for 48 hours, should you experience any signs of irritation, reddening, swelling, inflammation or itching please contact us. If you develop symptoms that make you unwell, please contact a medical professional
- When you attend the salon, we will observe the test site and ask you to complete a questionnaire. Subsequent colour services may not require an AAT; however, screening questions will be used on each visit to establish suitability for each colour service, we will keep a record of this on file and AAT will be performed annually or if colour brand has changed.
If you are unable to visit the salon
- COLOURSTART PASSPORT (MHRA APPROVED METHOD)
Colourstart is a clean, convenient and easy to use patch test. The Colourstart pack contains full instructions on how to use the test and what the result can mean. Colourstart can be used to screen for allergy to PPD and you can repeat the Colourstart test if you are switching to a new hair colour product. Signing up and ongoing screening on the passport is free. The Colourstart test is £15 and no profit is made from sale of these tests.
- Please register on the Colourstart website by clicking here and create your passport. Answer the screening questions
- Let us know and we will post your patch out to you (free P+P)
- Once you receive your test, apply following the instructions inside the box.
- Upload your results to your online passport and share your results with James Fulton hair– (we are registered with Colourstart).
- Once you have created your passport and completed your first test, subsequent colour treatments require you to answer the screening questions – testing with a Colourstart test may not be necessary unless something changes, which your stylist will advise.
Your Colourstart Passport will confidentially store your records and only relevant information regarding your colour suitability can be accessed by the salon.
All our stylists have been trained to test and screen for suitability for colour services. We have vast experience in safe colouring – you can be sure we only use the best products and invest in the most up to date practices. We take your safety and our work seriously. When you visit James Fulton Hair you can have peace of mind that we are taking the best care of you and your hair.
We thank you for your co-operation in our preliminary procedures before your service with us.
Skin testing FAQ
How often do the tests have to be performed?
Each test only has to be done annually to comply with manufactures guidelines, as long as all screening questions are passed on each colour visit.
Why do I have to do an allergy test?
At James Fulton Hair we take the safety and wellbeing of all our guests very seriously, we follow guidelines set out by industry professional’s and manufacturer’s. Screening for colour allergy will assess the suitability of the intended colour service and eliminates potential risk to you or your health.
I have been colouring my hair for years without a reaction do I need a test?
One of the triggers for sensitivity and reactions to hair colour is exposure over time, therefore it is important to keep monitoring this for your safety, as a salon we are committed to your safety by using the best products and procedures for safely colouring hair.
How long does an AAT take and how much does it cost?
An AAT is a free service and can be performed in the salon, this will only take 5 minutes.
What is our preferred method?
We do not have a preference. Your AAT test is brand specific and can be monitored by a member of the team. However we introduced Colourstart to cater for guests that find it difficult to visit the salon.